Sunday, June 2, 2013

June 02, 2013

Almost there.  School is out in just two more weeks.  It does not seem nearly as intense this year, after the ACT and AP tests, Dalton is feeling like the hard part is over.  Brynne only has one final per day this semester, so life is almost manageable.

Unless you've had your wisdom teeth pulled.  As Dalton did.  All four were impacted.  His face doubled in size.  Visions of Vicadin or some other equally potent pain killer were only an illusion, however.  Instead they gave him some powder that worked only marginally.  Eventually, we took him to the pharmacy for some sort of steroid that helped for 24-36 hours.  Still hearing about the pain, but, the doc says he is recovering fine.

Last night we had dinner with a family from India that works for Dole down here.  Their son goes to school with the kids.  It is fun to laugh, and they had us laughing a lot.  Gave us good food too, which was just as fun.  They live even higher up a mountain than we do--their nighttime view was amazing.  Good food, good company, good view--what more can you ask for?

Yesterday I took my bike out on the roads for the first time in two years (I use it all the time, but, on my kinetic trainer from the comfort of our apartment).  I am doing a triathlon this coming Saturday for the first time in three years (along with three others from our ward).  Figured I probably better actually get the bike on the road a couple of times before the race.  A friend and I left at 5:30 a.m. to avoid traffic--which worked until about 6:30 a.m.  Then the charm was gone (as was the safety).  Triathlon or not, I will be staying close to the trainer and off the roads.

We're putting in a picture of Dalt and Brynnesy at this week's honor society induction.  Good for them! Wish we could let you hear the event, as a group of Dalton's friends cheekily shouted "Brynne Zoner" as she approached the stage.  Normally, I would think that in bad taste.  But, since "Brynne Zoner" is a personal adaptation of the more generic "Friend Zone" (teenagers' equivalent of saying, "we're never going to be more than friends"--specifically, you've been "friend zoned"), I assume that means that these boys all realize that my princess is off limits (for at least 10 more years), so it brings a smile to my face.


Braden has a new friend.  This is a blessing from heaven--"play dates" can be complicated since friends from school live all over the valley, and traffic can be such a pain.  Alejandro just moved into our building, on our side (uses the same elevator), goes to the same school, and is just two months older.  He is also the youngest child, and so far they're having a great time together.  Woo-hoo!

I have added another Chinese teacher.  This one is in Rexburg, Idaho (the other in Beijing).  Different focuses with each.  It amazes me what we can do with technology now.  I meet with each of them on Skype, and while my Chinese is still pretty darn ugly,  a couple of hours a week of lessons gets me just a little closer to the "impossible dream" of "fluency".  I'm giving myself 15 more years to get there . . . .

Some of you have called us out for not posting pictures of our apartment on-line.  Here's one of the front room.  The view from the guest room is one of the best--so think seriously about coming to see it first-hand.

Dayna and I have been walking some in the mornings lately.  Seems like we wake up earlier and earlier the older we get, and decided that walking on the grounds is a good way to see the sunrise, and get to spend some time together.  It also reminds us more readily than fighting with morning traffic that Costa Rica is really beautiful.

Dalton and Brynne will be heading north in a couple of weeks (after finals).  We don't have all of our schedule's confirmed yet, however, as we are waiting to hear about a job that Dalton is trying to get down here that would impact them.  But, will keep you posted and let you know as soon as we do.

Pura Vida!

The Karlinseys

1 comment:

  1. Catching up on your blog and missing your family as I read these posts. I wish you all knew our little Kai. .imagine he'd charm your socks off, Glenn. He's quite the character. I wish we could see that gorgeous view for ourselves. We're enjoying the view in WA right now, home for the summer for Tim's internship. love you guys!

    ReplyDelete